Monday, March 23, 2015

The making of an American Girl doll closet

So my niece, Alex, has entered the world of American Girl dolls.  For Christmas she received her very first doll, Kaya, whom she loves dearly.  With these dolls come many, many accessories.  However, to buy them at the American Girl store gets a little ridiculous!  So, to Pinterest I go!  

I found a cute closet that we just HAD to make!  So, my sister and I traveled the hour and a half it takes to get to any stores by her and found a Michaels and a Hobby Lobby to collect our supplies. 

What we got: 
A wooden crate, some small wooden boards (for a side shelf), wooden dowels, some round knobs (for the bottoms of the closet and stool), a round box for the stool, some pink spray paint and some strong glue. 

I then started to spray paint everything - surprisingly not as easy as I expected...

Here are a bunch of the supplies after being spray painted:

Then I started gluing a wooden dowel in for our closet rod.  The dowel was a tight squeeze so I needed my sis to pull out the sides for me to really be able to get it in place. Then I glued four knobs onto the bottom of the crate and the round box. (Don't look too closely or you'll see my not-so-great paint job. :) )

I tried to glue the shelf on the side, but because the slats were not even, that did not prove to be successful.  I opted for some small nails instead, which worked great.  

Oh, we also had to have a mirror so that Kaya can look at herself as she gets ready for the day.  


Then we needed a little decoration so I got a "K" for Kaya and let Alex decorate it with some paint. She really enjoyed this part!
Then we glued that on the top.  

Here's a picture of the final product with Kaya and Alex. 


I think she liked it and it was pretty easy to make and way cheaper than a closet at the American Girl store!  



No comments:

Post a Comment